National Metrology Institute (NMI)
In line with its mandate and being the Custodian of National Measurement Standards, NMI, through high quality and traceable metrology services, supports competitiveness of Zimbabwean industrial products and services, fairness in trade, consumer protection, health and safety of human and animal life and protection of the environment. The institute provides traceable measurements and calibration services to private as well as public sectors of the economy. These services enable industries to compete on the global markets as well as meet statutory and contractual obligations.
Goals and Objectives
- Delivery of accurate and traceable results consistently through calibrations using measurements standards with demonstrated equivalence to those of other recognised National and Internal Metrology Laboratories
- Meeting all customer requirements, applicable regulatory, statutory and contractual requirements and relevant national/international standards.
- Management’s commitment to implementing ISO/IEC 17025 requirements and those of the accreditation body.
- Ensuring that our policies and procedures are documented, known, understood and implemented by all employees in executing their duties.
- Sustaining technical competence of personnel through relevant training, intra- and inter-laboratory comparisons with peer laboratories.
- The quest for continuous improvement in our business operations through formulation and review of objectives.
We are committed to ensuring that SIRDC’s National Metrology Institute signifies reliability, accuracy and competence.
NMI is currently divided into four major departments:
- Dimensional: Length Metrology; Angle Metrology; Surface Texture, Roundness, Roughness
- Mass: Mass Metrology; Volume Metrology; Force Metrology; Pressure
- DC and AC Metrology, Time and Frequency (T & F) Metrology, Resistance, Capacitance and inductance
- Temperature Metrology
- Humidity Metrology
- Heat Metrology
- Primary and Certified Reference Materials
- Gas Analysis and Gas Analysers
- Calibration, Quality Control and Performance Test of Analytical Equipment
For Further Information Contact:
The Director, NMI
Tel: + 263-4-860346 (direct)